The new "Be Winter Smart" campaign by the Tire and Rubber Association of Canada (TRAC) is well underway to promote safe winter driving.
As part of TRAC’s Be Tire Smart initiative, the new campaign has many tools and expert tips to help keep everyone safe on the winter roads. Here are just a few of the campaign’s helpful pointers:
- All-Wheel Drive (AWD) is not a replacement for winter tires – AWD and Stability Traction Control rely on tires having enough grip
- Winter tires mean shorter braking distances – as much as 30% shorter than with All-Season tires
- Take extra care to avoid distractions – don’t use cruise control or anything else that reduces reaction times
- Leave winter outside – melting snow on your boots can turn into water vapor and fog your windshields
- Mixing and matching tire types can be dangerous – effective braking and cornering requires all four tires to have the same grip
The campaign also includes several informative blogs by driving and tire professionals:
Step Up Your Winter Driving Game – Professional driving instructor, Kevin Cronin, explains why winter tires make the perfect travel companion for your winter commute.
A Pro’s Guide to Winter Driving – Raptors in-game and digital host, Kat Stefankiewicz, gets behind the wheel to see what difference winter tires can make.
Gear Up for Winter Driving – Canadian Tire product specialist, Chris Heck, demonstrates how to get your ride winter-ready.
Talk to your retailer about other great ways to be winter tire smart. You can also follow Be Tire Smart on any of TRAC’s social channels:
Google+: Be Tire Smart Canada
YouTube: Be Tire Smart Canada